For my Ph.D thesis, I studied the past climate of the Black Sea region, focusing on the last ice age, and the transition to the current warm period. I used a 32m-long sediment core from the bottom of the Black Sea, analysing algae, sediments, geochmistry and layers of volcanic ash.
As part of my research, I spent many hours looking down a microscope, identifying fossil pollen and algae. I created a dinoflagellate identification tool, to make sure my identifications were systematic.
I am a joint author of two research papers on volcanic ash and it's uses in climate reconstruction. I also have a few unfinished papers that might contain sections useful to others, so I have made them available online.
As well as dinoflagellate cysts, I also analysed the pollen content of sediments. I created this tool to make sure my identification was systematic, and could be relied upon for climatic interpretation
As part of my Ph.D research, I started to digitise my research group's pollen collection. This would allow pollen students from around the world to improve and expand their pollen identifications. It was also my first look at database design and web servers.